1. How did you find out about anime conventions?
The same way I found out about cosplay - google image searching for FF7 and seeing people dressed up as the characters and realising this is actually a thing and there are places people go specifically to do this thing omg.
2. What and where was your first convention?
AyaCon 2005! I literally went to the first summer convention I could as soon as I was old enough.
3. How old were you at your first convention?
16, and totally out of my depth.
4. Did you cosplay at your first convention, and if so, as who?
I took two costumes, but I only wore my Fay D. Flourite, as I let the friend I went with borrow my FF7AC Tifa :)
5. How many conventions have you’ve attended presently?
Aya 05, Ame 06, 07, 08, Kita 09, Fuyu 09, Kita 2010, Kita2011, Aya 2011….
On top of that a handful of various MCM Expos and the past two ThoughtBubbles :D
6. What was your favorite convention and why?
It’s very close between Kita 2010 and Aya 2011… Since they began I’ve been a devoted KitaCon supporter but even though I loserconned it and my best friend wasn’t there, I had a really amazing time at Aya’11 omg
7. List all your cosplays that you’ve cosplayed in the past (that you can remember) and what one is your favorite?
Fay D. Flourite - Tsubasa Resorvoir Chronicle (many, many times)
Tifa Lockheart - FF7 Advent Children
Rukia - Bleach
Tsuzuki Asato - Yami no Matsuei (yeah I know wtf)
Tsuruya-san - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Haruhi - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Akira-chan - Lucky Star
Bridget - Guilty Gear XX
Vespiquen gijinka - Pokemon
Holo - Spice and Wolf
Asakura Ryoko - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Black Rock Shooter
Mio ~Don’t Say Lazy!~ - K-ON!
Hatsune Miku ~ Magnet
Aerith Gainsborough - Final Fantasy VII
Sheryl Nome - Macross Frontier (a few times)
Hatsune Miku ~ Matryoshka!
Kuranosuke - Kuragehime
Hilda - Pokemon Black & White
Elsie - The World God Only Knows
Mio ~Listen!!~ - K-ON!!
Maritan - Magical Marine Sergeant Maritan
Female MC - Persona 3 Portable
My favourites are Hilda and Sheryl, but I intend to do Holo again someday.
8. If you have a dream convention that you want to attend, what is it?
Honestly I’d love to go over to a US convention. I want to experience the enormity of AX or Otakon, and whenever I watch fanvideos I’m constantly impressed by the venue for KatsuCon.
9. Do you attend convention events, such as panels, karaoke, etc.?
I usually attend all the cosplay events and the karaoke. Like, There hasn’t been a single convention Karaoke I’ve missed because I’m always looking for an excuse to hog the microphone. I’ll try make it to a panel if it sounds interesting but usually get distracted doing something else…
Oh, and next time I want to maybe try out some lolita events too :3
10. Have you’ve ever entered masquerade? And if so as who and did you win?
I’ve been in non-competitive masquerades a couple of times, and also came 2nd place the only time I entered a convention talent-show with our group’s last minute choreographed routine to “Team Rocket’s Rockin’”
I do intend to enter one in future either as Sheryl Nome or with a group as Morning Musume though, I love performing far too much to pass it up.
11. What do you usually buy in the dealer’s room? If so, what do you buy?
I’m usually on the lookout for hard-to-find artbooks and the possibility of a good deal on some figures :D For example, at last Kita I bought Shunya Yamashita’s “One Voice”, and at Hyper Japan 2010 I bought a bunch of Black Rock Shooter merchandise and a Sheryl Nome figure :D
12. Do you buy anything in the artist alley? If so, what do you buy?
Honestly I never usually see anything that catches my eye enough… I did once buy some vocaloid pinbadges from an artists table at an Expo though.
13. What was the longest-traveled convention you’ve driven to or flown to?
When I got the coach to FuyuCon 09 from Middlesbrough, it was 5 hours on the way down.
It was 8 hours on the way back.
14. Have you’ve met your favorite English seiyuu?
I’m not even sure I have a favourite, but I did meet Kari Wahlgren who I like a lot! She signed my con-bag “GIRL POWER!!”
I’m not entirely sure why…
15. Do you generally go to conventions with friends? Or your special someone? Or both?
I usually go with my boyfriend Connor, and meet my bestie Iggie and all my other amazing friends I’ve met through cons in the past when we get there. Connor’s become less interested in conventions now though, so in future I’ll probably be travelling with Iggie.
16. Have you’ve met a special someone at a convention and then hooked up there, or after?
Actually, I’ve met my past 3 ex-boyfriends through conventions whoops
However I met Connor at a New Years party while I was with my now-ex, and it wasn’t until after I met him he started coming to cons.
17. Do you regret going to any specific convention? And if so, why?
I felt Fuyu 09 was incredibly badly organised, however a LOT of my friends were there so I managed to have a great time anyway.
18. What conventions do you have planned for next year?
Unfortunately I just can’t afford to go to KitaCon this year!
That said, I’m thinking of going to AmeCon instead since I should be able to afford a con by then.
If not… oh, there’s always Thoughtbubble right?
19. Have you’ve cosplayed your dream cosplay yet? If so, who?
For a long time, Aerith was my dream cosplay because I promised myself I wouldn’t do it until I felt I could do it properly. While I still feel like that costume was a success I think I could probably do it even better now :’D
As of now, my dream cosplay is Agrias Oaks from Final Fantasy Tactics. I’ve already started on it, but I want it to be perfect so I scrapped my first attempt and will be trying again once I get nicer fabric and finish my current in-progress costume.
20. Do you go by your forum name/pen name/nick name at cons?
I’ve always gone as UnaSpi (oo-na-spee) on forums and on my badges, but most people prefer to just call me Rachel it seems.
21. Do you have a convention that’s on your birthday?
Nope~ October Expo runs like 3 weeks after my birthday, that’s the closest it gets.
22. What is your current favorite anime/manga? Have you’ve cosplayed it yet?
My all-time favourite manga is probably Tokyo Babylon. I was intending to cosplay Hokuto from it but never got around to it, and I don’t think I’d suit her as much anymore.
However, my favourite manga which is still running is The World God only Knows, and not only have I cosplayed Elsie, but I’d love to get a group together someday!
My top 4 anime (in no real order) are Spice and Wolf, Macross Frontier, Haruhi, and Code Geass… The only one I’ve not cosplayed from yet is Geass :’D
23. Do you make your own cosplays, thrift them, or get them commissioned, etc?
I usually make the whole thing myself, however 3 of my costumes were bought… two of them are really old but I wonder if you can guess which the most recent one was….?
24. Do you have any retired cosplays? If any, why are they retired?
Honestly, most of my older costumes are retired :D I only have like 8 costumes in my closet now and I think there are only maybe 4 of them I would consider re-wearing.
25. What cosplays do you have planned for next year? Or if there’s alot of them, what series?
I’m still working (slowly) on Northern Cross Sheryl Nome and a costume for Iggie’s Uni work which I really really should finish soon because she is relying on me for this.
Other plans are listed here
26. Did you like this meme?
It’s wasted a good amount of time I guess
27. Are you bored out of your mind because your not at a con?
I’m actually in a bit of a rut lately so cons are one of the last things on my mind…
28. When is your next con?
Possibly… Manchester Expo? Maybe AmeCon? I really don’t know.
29. Have you’ve started any of your cosplays for your next con?
Like I’ve said before, Northern Cross Sheryl is about…. 70% complete? It’s only really missing the blouse and thigh-highs…
Agrias has a wig and hours of frustration over how on earth I’m supposed to make that armour….
30. Anything else I should know about you?
I might come across as a bit of a show-off or an elitist, and while I do hold myself to a certain standard I’m actually very shy and have a lot of trouble starting a conversation unless I have a strong opinion about something. So please, if you want to talk to me you absolutely should because when I come out of my shell I am fucking hilarious.